Why Study in UK
Studying abroad is a life changing decision for every students. Students need compelling reasons to finalize a study destination and academic institution out of a number of choices. Below are a few reasons why you can think of choosing the UK as your study destination:
• Academic Quality: According to the QS World University Rankings 2023, 4 Universities in the UK come under top 10 ranks. These include University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London, and University College London. According to the Times World University Rankings 2023 University of Oxford is at 1st position. The rankings of these Universities are a testament to their high quality of academics and research.
• Research Quality: The latest Research Excellence Framework 2021 assessed research work of 157 UK universities. The overall quality of research submissions was noted as world-leading (41%), internationally excellent (43%), internationally recognized (14%), and nationally recognized (2%). UK universities have produced excellent research and students, who are willing to pursue research, can definitely think of the UK as an option.
• Student-friendly Destination: In the academic year 2020-21, nearly 605,000 international students, both EU and non-EU, were studying in UK higher education institutions. Nearly 16% (approximately 55,000) of all new enrolments come from India. Increasing number of international students in the UK show its increasing popularity as a study abroad destination.
• Scholarships: Students have access to excellent scholarships in the UK Universities. Some of these include International Scholarships Award, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship, Chevening Scholarships, GREAT Scholarships, Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships, just to name a few.
• Leisure and Travel: The UK is an interesting place when it comes to exploring the historical places, music concerts, cuisines, and various other cultural festivals. Universities in the UK have a long history associated with them, and studying in those Universities gives you an opportunity to be a part of that heritage.
Education System in UK
Education system in the UK comprises of five stages that include:
• Early Years: Students up to 5 years of age can avail early years education and childcare in various state nursery schools, nursery classes and reception classes within primary schools.
• Primary Education: It covers children from the age of 5 years to 11 years. This is further divided into two Key Stages. Key Stage 1 comprises of children from 5 years to 7 years of age and Key Stage 2 comprises of children from 7 years to 11 years of age.
• Secondary Education: It covers students from the age of 11 years to 16 years. This is further divided into two Key Stages. Key Stage 3 comprises of students from 11 years to 14 years of age and Key Stage 4 comprises of students from 14 years to 16 years of age. At the end of this education, students usually take external examinations such as GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Standard Grades in Scotland.
• Further Education: It consists of students from 16 year to 18 years of age. It is post-compulsory education and covers non-advanced courses. These might include skill development, higher vocational education such as City and Guilds or Foundation Degree. This does not include university education.
• Higher Education: Higher education is provided in colleges and universities and includes undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (includes Doctoral programmes).
Top Courses in UK
Universities in the UK offer a wide range of courses that cover every available academic discipline. However, certain courses are very popular amongst students. The table given below provides a list of popular academic disciplines and various courses that are offered under those disciplines:
Academic Discipline Top Courses in the UK
Business and Administrative studies • Economics
• Finance and Accountancy
• Business and Management Studies
Engineering, Technology, and Mathematics • Computer Science
• Civil Engineering
• Electrical and Electronic Engineering
• Mechanical Engineering
• Chemical Engineering
Humanities • History
Natural Science • Biology
Social Science • Sociology
Creative Arts • Art and Design
• Performing Arts
Cost of Studying in UK
The following data is meant to provide you an estimate of the cost of studying in UK on the basis of academic level. For accurate fee details, students are advised to check the official webpage of that particular course.
• Undergraduate Level: Undergraduate tuition fee can be in the range of £11,000 to £38,500 per year. This translates to an average of nearly £24,500 per year.
• Postgraduate Level: Postgraduate tuition fee can be in the range of £8,000 to £39,000 per year per year. This translates to an average of nearly £23,500 per year.
• Certain courses such as medicine might cost more than £50,000 per year.
Student Visa Process
UK Student Visa
UK Student Visa, formerly called as Tier 4 (General) Student Visa or Tier 4 Student Visa, is applicable for those who want to pursue higher education in the UK. Students can apply for UK Student Visa 6 months before the commencement of their course, and not before that. Students can expect to receive a decision within 3 weeks of application. On the UK Student Visa, students can stay in the UK for up to 5 years if their course is at degree level. If a student is applying from outside the UK, he/ she needs to pay a visa processing fee of £363. Moreover, students are also required to a healthcare surcharge.
Student Visa Requirements for UK
Students, who wish to apply for UK Student Visa, need to meet the following criteria:
• An unconditional offer to pursue a course with a licensed student sponsor. This can be proven with the help of Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
• Sufficient financial resources to support yourself during the course of study. Students are expect to show £12,006 for nine months (£1,334 per month) if living in London and £9,207 for nine months (£1,023 per month) if living outside London.
• Able to speak, read, write and understand English. This can be proven with the help IELTS, PTE, etc.
• Consent from parents if the student is 16 or 17 years old.
• Application fee of £363 and healthcare surcharge.
• Medical test reports (tuberculosis test).
• Academic documents and test scores.
Earning and Spending
Part time Work Options for International Students in UK
Students, who are studying in the UK, can also opt for part-time work in order to reduce their cost of pursuing academics from the UK. However, part time work in UK for international students comes with certain riders that include a maximum work of 20 hours per week for those studying at degree level or more, when the classes are in session. Language centre students can pursue 10 hours per week of work when their classes are in session. However, students can pursue full-time work during their vacations. In addition, students can also look for yearlong industry placements that usually fall between the penultimate and final year of their degree.
Post study Work Permit in UK
International students, after completing their undergraduate or postgraduate degree course, can apply for the UK Graduate Route Visa or PSW UK. PSW UK or UK Graduate Visa allows a student to stay back and work for 2 years after completion of his/ her degree. The duration is 3 years in case of Doctoral students. In order to apply for post study work permit in UK, students need to pay an application fee of £715 and an annual healthcare surcharge of £624. After the expiry of UK post study work visa, students can apply for skilled work visa or general work visa (Tier 2 visa) or any other relevant visa.
Job Prospects in UK (ROI)
ROI (Return on Investment) is an extremely important factor for students while finalizing a course, University, or country for studying abroad. ROI refers to the salary or pay package that a student obtains after completing the course. It shows whether the investment he/ she has made in that particular course has fetched him any significant returns or not.
WHY CHOOSE IEMS?
As an international immigration experts, IEMS can turn your dreams into a plan. With a solid vast knowledge & having years of experience in Visa processing, Migration Law & Practices, our team of RMAs (Registered Migration Agents) has evolved to an extent. Go ahead and click around, there is a ton of new opportunities to check out.
We offer a wide range of Education and Migration Services to Study, Work, Live and Migrate with your family to Australia, UK, Canada and other leading countries.
Claim your Consultation
Become part of IEMS to Further Your Career.